What is Reliability?
How Do We Improve Reliability?
Reliability is improved by reducing outage frequency and duration through:
- Tree trimming and mowing
- Equipment maintenance and replacement
- Adding line reclosers and other protective devices
- Feeder configuration change (add more ties and backup connections)
- Faster customer restoration
What Happened in 2021?
- Higher number of Major Event Days than normal
- More “large” outages than normal
- Extended outages due to snow and ice
- Multiple widespread storm events
- Multiple large scale vehicle incidents
Key Outage Indicator Comparison
|EVENT||Totals 2021||Totals 2020||Previous 5 Year Average||Change|
|Aluminum (Insul) URD||5||7|
Tree Related Outages
- Typically, trees cause the majority of our outages
- To more closely reflect the effect that trees have on system outages, we have combined Storm Related, Trees – Broken or Fell, and Wind for analysis
- With these combined causes, we looked at the outages by substation and by circuit
Tree Related Outages by Year
Possible Areas of Focus
Looking at locations with 3 or more outages, we should take a closer look at these areas: